Thursday, December 9, 2010

What is PM Dawn up to?


Search: pm dawn

Why: Erin just had a(nother) baby. Welcome Simon! Erin came to Destin with us one summer, and she played "I'd Die Without You" several times. (That song came out in 1992, so it was probably the summer I was 9.)
Cool shades!

Answer
: They are theoretically still making hits! I mean, their years active are "1988-present," anyway. Their last album, Fucked Music (2000) is mail-order only (mail order?), but they cover "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder.

The 2 original guys (Prince Be and Minutemix) are brothers, btw, and their stepdad George Brown was a founding member of Kool & the Gang.

Here is some bad news:
On 12 February 2009, Prince Be had a second stroke and suffered a gangrenous infection in his right leg. As a result of this infection, his leg had to be amputated below the kneecap in December 2009. He is expected to return to the stage in the summer of 2010
But according to their Myspace:
Since the unfortunate sickness of Prince B, Doc G has decided to keep the fans happy by touring and singing the PM Dawn hits as well as his solo projects.
You can follow his Tweets here.

Source: Wikipedia

The More You Know: Erin & PM Dawn also remind me of these little candy seashells - not chocolate-filled - that my dad used to get me when we were in Destin. I had a big bag of them in my closet, and every time that I heard that song on the radio, I went and ate one. The last time I heard that song before today might have been 10 years ago, and they were already long gone. Now they are expensive. Buy them for me.