Sunday, May 15, 2011

What city is mostly blue?


Search
: blue city; the fall

Why: Have you guys seen the giant Scientology center down the street from my apartment? It's real blue.
According to Hailey, some city that may or may not be in Europe and that is also in the movie The Fall is "like, half blue." WHAT!

Answer: Jodhpur, India! From Roger Ebert's interview with director Tarsem Singh (I think):
"Jodhpur, the blue city, is a Brahmin city where you’re only supposed to paint your house blue. I made a contract with the city; we would give them free paint. We knew legally they could only choose blue. So they painted their houses blue and it looked more vibrant than it ever had before."


Why are the houses painted blue? Nobody's sure, but theories include:
  • Religious reasons
  • To keep mosquitoes away
  • Because the color blue absorbs very little of the sun’s heat, which keeps the houses cool
Source: RogerEbert.com, Aliaterra, this guy's travel blog

The More You Know: Sorry I've been slacking with posts, friends and strangers, dudes and ladies. I started a new job 2 Fridays ago, and I haven't yet quite figured out how to fit excessive Googling into my days while still appearing to be productive. I hope to find that balance rill soon.