Monday, May 16, 2011

What's the origin of the word "gingerly"?


Search
: gingerly etymology

Why: It's in just about every book ever, but I don't understand it. In The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo:
Then, gingerly, she picked up the blowtorch.
I mean, what? I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Also, I just had some ginger dressing. I eat it a lot, but it always reminds me of Heather Chandler's Drano-corn nuts puke in Heathers.
Answer: First, that word means: adj. careful, cautious or adv. cautiously, with great care!

It comes from a word that means "elegant" or "dainty"!
  • from Latin gentius, "well-born" (as in gentle, as in gentleman)
  • from gent or Old French gensor, "dainty, delicate"
  • 1510s, "elegantly, daintily"
  • 1600, "extremely cautiously
I think you know what's coming next: that the word ginger has nothing to do with that.
  • from Sanskrit srngam, "horn" + vera, "body" = srngaveram, named for the horny shape of its root
  • from Prakit (Middle Indic) singabera
  • from Greek zingiberis
  • from Latin zingiberi
  • from Middle Latin gingiber
  • from mid-14 century Old English gingifer
  • ginger!
Source: EtymOnline

The More You Know: Or!
  • from Malayalam inchi, "root" and inchi-ver, "spice"
  • from Old French gingebre
  • from 1843 American English, "spirit, spunk, temper"