Monday, June 8, 2009

What kind of vinegar can I use to clean my kitchen sponges?


Search
: clean sponges vinegar

Why: My sponges stink to high heaven. I'm too poor to splurge on brand new sponges, but I do have many varieties of vinegar I'm not planning to use tonight.

Answer: White vinegar OR apple cider vinegar! The acetic acid inside kills bacteria and eliminates odors. Try these methods:
  • Wash the sponges in hot soapy water with a splash of vinegar, then rinse well. While still wet, microwave the sponges for 2 minutes.
  • Place them in just enough water to cover them. Then add 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar. Let them soak overnight. Also works for dishrags!
  • Run the sponges in the dishwasher with a splash of vinegar. It is good for your dishes, too.
Source: TipNut

The More You Know: A sponge that’s been in use in a kitchen for just 2 or 3 days will harbor millions of bacteria... and stink.