Saturday, February 12, 2011

What's the Roman numeral "N"?


Search
: roman numerals

Why: We're housesitting. They've got a Study Bible, edition NIV. I don't recognize that from any Super Bowl logos.

Answer: There's not one! Haha and I just looked, and I'm an idiot: that book is the "New International Version." My B! But I'm going through with this anyway because I think we could all use a refresher course on our Roman numerals.
I - 1
V - 5
X - 10
L - 50
C - 100
D - 500
M - 1,000
and then, of course, if there's a line over it, you multiply it by 1,000. So a V with a line over it means 5,000. I don't think anyone ever actually uses it.
Source: Nova Roma

The More You Know: In case you're ever in the Cash Cab and the question is: "What's the difference between the Roman system and our (Arabic) system?" there are 2 main things:
  • They don't have a 0
  • Numeral placement within a number can sometimes indicate subtraction rather than addition (like IV means 4, not 6)